ਸ੍ਰੀਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫਤਹ

Wednesday 7 April 2010

Anglo Sikh war, a Nihang Singh, and Dasam Granth

Colonel Hodson records in the Anglo-Sikh wars that:
One fine old Nihang beat off four sowars, one after another and kept them at bay. I then went at him myself. He instantly rushed to meet me like a tiger, yelling wah guruji, and accompanying each shout with a terrible blow of his talwar. I guarded the first three or four first, but he pressed so close to my horse’s reins that I could not get a fair cut in return. At length I pressed in my turn upon him so sharply that he missed his blow and I caught his talwar back-handed with my bridle-hand, wrenched it from him and cut him down with the right, having received no further injury than a severe cut across the fingers. I never beheld such deperation and fury in my life. It was not human scarcely.
Guru Gobind Singh writes at the end of Krishnaavtar in the Sri Dasam Granth that:

Blessed is the life of that person in the world who recites the Holy Name with his mouth and contemplates war against evil in his heart. Who regards the body as a temporary vesture and uses the boat of the Lord's Name to cross the rough world-ocean. Who makes a closet of patience in his body and illumines the mind with the lamp of divine knowledge, Who takes up the broom of (spiritual) wisdom in his hands and sweeps away all cowardice and falsehood.

No comments: